Thursday, September 18, 2008

Kimberly...no, not Kim, Kimberly

Okay, so often times some folks...well, actually just my husband, have asked me "Why are you so particular that your name be Kimberly and not Kim?"

My usual response is "Well, that's what my parents named me, so that's what I want to go by. Yes, in elementary and junior high I was insistent on wanting to go by Kim; but, once I got into highschool and especially into college, I really wanted to go back to my full name. I think it just sounds better."

Hubby chimes in, "So you don't want people close to you to shorten your name out of familiarity and expect those that once knew you as Kim to now switch to Kimberly? Isn't that sort of complicated?"

I simply respond "nah, not really."

Bear with me...I know this is getting lengthy and rambling on.

So...once I got married I was EVER SO ADAMANT that people refer to me as Kimberly Young...and not Kim Young...for the simple fact that I would sound Asian...I mean...say it out loud to yourselves and you'll see exactly what I am talking about (insert pause here for you to repeat my name out loud).

***Important note****Please know that I have no problem whatsoever with Asians, their names, culture, etc...nothing in the least... It is just that I am not Asian, and don't really wish to have a name that sounds as though I am.

So....to make a random short story far too long, last night I was on hubby's computer and went to Facebook. Instead of logging on, for some reason I just went to do a people search for my name/account...and when I typed it in....voilah....the first 10 names that came up were Asian people. See for yourself !!!
http://www.facebook.com/srch.php?nm=kim+young

And there you have it folks, the short and long (really long) of why I prefer to be called Kimberly.

Yes, I realize this post may point out that I am...errr....particular.

Happy Thursday :)

7 comments:

kinsey said...

hilarious.

my best friend's last name is Layne and my sister's middle name is Leigh so for a long time i thought i wanted to name a little girl Layne Leigh...um, until i said it out loud. yep, sounds asian too.

Kimberly Jordan Walker & Sophie said...

Seriously, I am laughing out loud as I say "Layne Leigh" to Jordan. Love it!!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you started a blog!! It becomes a little addicting. ;)Hope to see you guys soon!

Nicki W. said...

hey! you look great!! so glad to find your blog :)

Hunter, Amanda, Hudson and Maddie said...

you are so funny! i laughed out loud!!!

cindi said...

kimberly - you are a hoot! i was laughing so that dad had me share your story with him. we have a mhs student with the name of ta, bich. how would you like to go thru school in usa with that name?

Yocumotion said...

lolol...i almost peed on myself! Love you- Skelton...Yes skelton, not Amanda, Mandy, or Amanda Yocum, but SKELTON